The CTCRI is the only one of its kind in the world dedicated solely to the research on tropical tuber crops. Nearly four decades of concerted research have led to the development of several production and processing technologies for tuber crops besides release of nearly 49 improved varieties. The target group of most of the technologies being marginal and resource poor farmers, adequate emphasis is also given for on farm evaluation and popularisation of the technologies. In addition, several industrial Hi-tech technologies were also developed in the recent past enabling resource generation through consultancies.
- ICAR-CTCRI has bagged the ICAR Award for Outstanding Interdisciplinary Team Research in Agricultural and Allied Sciences for Biennium 2011-12. The team under the leadership of Dr. G. Padmaja adopted to trackle the major issues for the utilization of tuber crops with a greater thrust on cassava and sweet potato. Developing pasta products with good color, consumer appeal and textual quality using cassava and sweet potato flour which lack gluten was a major challenge under the project. This was made possible through the timely biochemical studeis by Team leader and the textual studies on the pasta products by the Process Engineers who were team members. Extruded snack food products developed as health foods, became they contained title/no oil and nutritional quality enhancement was possible through wide range of fortification. Development of innovative starch based products such as superabsorbent polymers, superporous hydrogels, biodegradable biofilms, etc. was made possible through a concerted approach. The other members of the team are Dr. J. T. Sheriff, Dr. M. S. Sajeev, Dr. A. N. Jyothi and Smt. L. Rajalekshmy.
- CTCRI bagged the Sardar Patel Outstanding Institution Award for the year 2005, instituted by the ICAR for outstanding contribution made in the improvement of tropical tuber crops and development of low cost production technologies. The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 5 lakhs, besides a plaque, certificate and citation.
- The Institute has bagged many national and International recognitions in the past that include J.J. Chinoy Gold Medal (1970), three ICAR Team Research Awards (1985,1996, 1998), D.L. Plucknett Award for Tropical Root Crops, Hari Om Trust Award (1993), Jawaharlal Nehru Award (1975, 1995, 1998, 2000 and 2003), Young Scientist Award instituted by Deseeya Sasthra Vedi (1996), NRDC cash reward for biodegradable plastics (2000), Pat Coursey Award (2000, 2006) and Vasantharao Naik Memorial Gold Medal (2002).
- In recognition of its contribution to cassava growers and consumers worldwide, CTCRI has been rewarded at the First International Meeting on Cassava Plant Breeding, Biotechnology and Ecology organized at Brasilia, Brazil during 11-15 November, 2006.
- The Best Annual Report Award (1997- 98) among the category of Small Institutes was conferred to Central Tuber Crops Research Institute for succinctly presenting the research results..
- The Institute has conducted more than 13 National and International Symposia / Seminars / Workshops.
- The infrastructural facilities of the Institute have been tremendously increased during the X and XI Plan periods. Additional laboratories like Food Extrusion Laboratory, Transgenic glass House, Bioinformatics Laboratory, Biodiversity sheds, Modernised Computer Cell, Seed Storage Laboratories, Net Houses etc. have been constructed. The Institute Headquarters has been renovated thoroughly, giving a totally new look to it, with modern laboratories. A number of new and sophisticated equipmenmt have been added to the existing ones to raise the standard of research. These include several imported equipments like the Food Extruder, Texture Analyzer, Differential Scanning Calorimeter, FTIR, Rapid Viscoanalyser, HPLC, Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer, Autoanalyser, Gel Documentation System, Realtime Quantative PCR, Nitrogen analysers, Fibre analyser etc. The infrastructural facilities of the Regional Centre have also been considerably improved through the creation of additional laboratory space, providing several new equipments.
- Extramural support by way of research schemes from both International (like CIAT, CIP, CIRAD etc) and National agencies (like ICAR, DST, DBT, DRDO, LSRB, JNU, UGC, PPIC, KSCSTE, DSIR,SHM,PVP & FRA etc), was a great boon to the Institute to upgrade the research infrastructure as well as to facilitate detailed studies on frontier areas of research. The Network projects of ICAR has helped the Institute to focus research on priority areas.
- Established a full fledged local area network connecting the various divisions and administration wing. The entire network is supported by state of the art equipments such as hubs, switches and structured cabling and the network is powered by windows nt operating system as its backbone and powerful pentium iii and pentium iv machines as its nodes. The network consists of windows nt server, internet proxy server, intranet file server and email server, computers, laser printers, inkjet printers, dotmatrix printers, scanners, dtp and multimedia work stations. Legal licensed versions of popular software packages like windows 98, windows xp, systat 6.0, mstatC, microsoft office 2000, microsoft office xp, pagemaker 6.5, corel draw 6.0, harward graphics 3.0, dbase iv for windows, ism multiscripts, norton anti virus pack, visual studio etc. are installed for various type of applications.
- Internet connectivity is now available through the local area network, and user can access the internet from any of the nodes connected to the network. CTCRI has set up a home page on the internet. This can be accessed at http://www.ctcri.org which provides a comprehensive picture about the various activities of the institute.